Tug Ludington

Tours will resume on April 15, 2024 - TOURS WILL BE TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED BEGINNING MID JUNE TO EARLY JULY FOR RECONSTRUCTION OF THE MOORING BOLLARDS; WE APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE DURING OUR CONSTRUCTION PROJECT.

A piece of real American History - the Tug Ludington is right here in the Kewaunee Harbor, and is open daily for self guided tours starting April 15, 2024 through October 15, 2024  Cost for the tours are $5.00 for adults and $3.00 for school age children.  All children must be accompanied by an adult.

Built at Jacobson Shipyard in Oyster Bay, New York, the Tug Ludington was fourth in a series of eight seagoing tugboats constructed specifically for World War II in 1943. After sea trials it was christened the "Major Wilbur Fr. Browder" by the U.S. Army.

The tug's armament consisted of two 50 caliber machine guns mounted above the chartroom and pilothouse. Tugs were often strafed by enemy planes and submarines, but were considered too small a target to waste a torpedo on.

The tug participated in the D-Day invasion of Normandy, towing ammunition barges across the English Channel. It eventually ended up in Cherbourg, France where it assisted harbor operations until being sent to Plymouth, England for the duration of the war.

In 1947 the tug was transferred to Kewaunee, Wisconsin by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and was renamed the "Tug Ludington.” With its arrival in Kewaunee, the Tug Ludington assisted in the construction and maintenance of many harbors on the Great Lakes.

The City acquired the Tug Ludington from the Federal Surplus Program on December 29, 1995 with official transfer from the U.S. Government Service Administration Federal Surplus Property occurring on May 14, 1996.

After acquisition, the City, community volunteers, and donations from both individuals and organizations evolved in the proper mooring facilities being constructed and restoration of the Tug Ludington to make it available for public tours.

On March 28, 2002, the “Major Wilbur Fr. Browder/Tug Ludington” was placed on the National and State Register of Historic Places by the Secretary of the Interior.

1439310616

Statistics

Vessel Statistics
Length 115 ft.
Beam 26 ft.
Height 64 ft.
Freshwater Draft 14 ft. 3in.
1943 Construction Cost $396,400
Displacement (Loaded) 482 tons
Approximate range 8,000 miles
Gross Tonnage 249 tons
Speed, Light 11 knots
Speed, Loaded (2 scows) 7 knots
Wartime Accommodations 26Corp
Accommodations 14
Minimum Op Crew 5
Fuel Capacity 40,000 Gal
Fresh Water Capacity 2,000 Gal
Engine Statistics
Four Cycle, Eight Cylinder
16 in. Bore
20 in. Stroke
1200 horsepower at 275 r.p.m.
13,168 cubic in. total displacement
Fuel Injection Timing 14.3 degrees before top center
Set - 6 in. before top center of diameter flywheel
Firing Order:
- Ahead 1-4-7-3-8-5-2-6
- Astern 1-6-2-5-8-3-7-4
Fuel Injection Pump Rack - Full Load
25 mm Hydraulic Lifters
Air Starting System

Diesel Marine Engine

This is a direct drive engine; there is no transmission.  To start the engine it must be heated and then the fuel is turned on.  Compressed air from the air tanks starts to rotate the engine pistons.  Once the engine fires up, the drive shaft begins to rotate and this turns the propeller at approximately 275 r.p.m.

To reverse direction the engine must be totally shut down with the fuel turned off.The camshaft control is moved and the camshaft slides by air to the opposite direction.  The process to start the engine is started all over again with the exception of heating the engine.

Manufactured by De Laval Turbine, Inc. Enterprise Division, Oakland, California